Thursday, April 29, 2010

Art, Kids & Scripture

Today is raining, so after breakfast and violin practice, Elianna suggested doing a craft. She LOVES her art book that Gpa & Gma Berge gave her for Christmas - The Usborne Complete Book of Art. She carefully looks through the book and chooses which art project she'd like to tackle. I read her the directions and assist her with collecting the needed art materials (p.s. Miller Pads and Paper is a great resource for art material).



She did a beautiful job creating "thumb" birds on a tree using her thumb and a paintbrush. Elijah and I gave it a try too. We hung our completed art pages on the fridge to dry and then placed them in our special keepsake binders, complete with name and date.
"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns,
and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value then they?"
Matthew 6:26


Next, Elianna thought this project looked really fun, so we hunted the house down for a piece of cardboard, tissue paper, black marker and tape. Ella asked if I would draw the buildings for her (to which I was delighted - 'cause by this time I'm getting into this art stuff!).


We taped our little city to the window and it was cool how the light shone through the tissue paper and gave the appearance that the lights were on inside the buildings. This reminded me of a verse...

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden."
Matthew 5:14

Light reflects onto things.
What am I "relecting" onto others, especially my family?
Is it love, enouragement, joy and praise?
In my home is where light takes flame.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I can hardly wait until Mariah is old enough to do these kinds of projects! Fun! (and your house drawings are amazing, Mindy!..reminds me of the houses from 101 Dalmations! So cute!)

The Sisters said...

How fun! This reminds me of my homeschool days when I was little...we also have "keepsake binders" full of little projects! The "thumb" birds look just darling!
~Eliza